Friday, February 6, 2015

Magical Moments



So I'm just going to cut to the chase about this one. I didn't make it into entertainment at Disney. Instead I was put into quick service food and beverage. At first--and if I'm being honest--I was ashamed of where I was. In my eyes it would have been better to have been a custodian than do what I was doing. When people asked me what I was doing in Disney, I'd tell them I was a cast member. Then simply let them guess I was something better than what I really was.

Also, it made it worse that my roommates were in entertainment. I am beyond happy for them and never was jealous, but it made me feel as though my job was even less important.


So my first week of training was a terrible nightmare that I was sure I would wake up from. The work was so hard and gross. I was upset and begged God to get me out of this. It wasn't until my roommate told me that she was believing God would put her where he needed her most that I realized how utterly selfish I was being. 
During the next week I began to make peace with my job. I accepted where I was, and suddenly it didn't seem as bad. People were friendly and welcomed me to their family. 


I don't get to be friends with Mickey or Minnie or even a princess. It was a hard fact to face, but the thing about Disney, the magic doesn't just come from the shows. It comes from the sense of community that is made with the cast members and shared with the guest. I get to be the one giving away magical moments to adorable little children. I get to give them memories that they will cherish for years. Hearing a little girl tell her dad today that it "was the best and most magical day ever" was a gift enough for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment